Saturday, May 29, 2010

Aisling's Story

Hey guys!
Here's an post from a young girl named Aisling. It's her 'realisation'/'coming out' story.
Enjoy!

      The first time I even thought about not being straight was about a year ago when I had a sex dream about my best friend. I actually really enjoyed the dream and when I wanted to have the dream again I started becoming confused about my sexuality. For many months I did not know whether I was straight, bisexual or gay. I kept trying to make myself believe I was straight but then I finally began to realise that I did like girls and I couldn't do anything about it. So then I was full sure I was bisexual , I told my close friends who all were very kind and accepting of it. One of my friends even thought i was gay anyway. I came out to my mother but that was awful because she kept saying I don't know what I'm talking about and I'm too young to know and I shouldn't be thinking about things like that. However the average age for realising you're LGBT is 12 and the average age for coming out is 19. Anyway I then got into another problem and I thought it was bad to be bi rather than gay or straight, however my friends, both of whom are straight, told me that its not bad that I've more choice and I've best of both worlds. I went away happy and proud to be who I am. However, in the end I realised that I'm gay. I'm a lesbian. I just realised that I want girls, that I like girls and that I can't change that and that it's nothing to be ashamed of. Its normal and I now understand that there's no point in being with a guy just because it's easier to get a boyfriend when I really desire a girlfriend. So for me at the moment I'm sitting patiently hoping for some girl to come find me, to be with me . 
I've also come out to more of my friends who're all grand with it. One of my friends is really homophobic though so I didn't tell her. We're not really close but we still talk often and she really hates gay people so that's why I didn't come out to her. For me so far, its been a rollercoaster but I've now found myself. 
So my advice to any LGBT people is to be yourself and be happy because its your life and you've a right to live it the way you want. However I would be cautious who you tell, if you're going to come out publicly remember first that you may be forced to take slagging from homophobic people, so just look after yourself.
Thanks for listening.


Aisling

2 comments:

Mags Treanor said...

Hi, I'm enjoying this blog. I'm gay myself and if you want me to write a bit on it i can, but in my case its a long time since I was a teen...
Hats off to all the young people who are making Ireland move forward, it's you people who make change happen...

Unknown said...

Hi, i just found this blog from a reference on BeLonG To, and it has really helped me, hearing other peoples stories! Just wanted to let you know, and also Aislings story really hit home with me! Keep going on with this, its great!!! x

Post a Comment